Monday, April 10, 2006

Great Bedtime Story

So this was a wonderful bedtime story that was told to me last night. The topic was, "what ugly weather we are having lately".

This led to "the entire world is gonna die in 50 years".

Since as far as I could remember, I knew that global warming was an issue. As a kid, we were told not to use aerosol hairspray as that depletes the ozone layer, save the rain forest, don't burn garbage (although if I did that would be gross), recycle, cars emit carbon dioxide that is bad for the air, save the Earth's resources...These taught habits still kick in as I find myself not even using hairspray, recycling, and trying to make the conscious decision not to use disposable chopsticks that would deplete the rainforest, and carpooling when possible. I was sure most people would do the same.

So how has mankind managed to slowly kill ourselves over the short time frame of a little over 2 decades? I did little digging...Googled it...I'm even more scared... (Poor Polar Bear).
Due to our constant build up, and I am sure the United States has a huge part to do with this, we are very quickly killing off ourselves and our home.
My wonderful bedtime story was if the ice caps melt at its current rate, our sea level will continue to rise up around 23 ft. This means that cities from London to Los Angeles will be submerged under water. Geez...
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2004/04/0408_040408_greenlandicemelt.html

Have we as the human race become so self-centric that we don't see that we need to make a difference? Or is there anything we can do at all? Is my little participation on not using the hairspray, recyling, carpooling, don't burn trash (eheheheh...I like that one)...enough?

How would I ever look the next generation in the eye and tell them, "well, we were just so into ourselves we never noticed". How would I ever answer to my child?

Freakin out here everyone...

So I have decided to print this out in my cube and make sure I will do my part (yes, I need pretty pictures)
http://www.epa.gov/globalwarming/kids/difference.html

I encourage everyone to do the same and don't let the Polar bears or us die!

1 comment:

Rico said...

Since I would probably far from dead when the world ends I might as well enjoy all the luxuries of life. I'm gonna go buy a Hummer! j/k.